Sunday, September 18, 2016

Tab Takes On... Walmart Tire and Lube

     We needed an oil change before we left for the honeymoon, so to prevent backtracking we went to our local Wal-Mart. It was $19.88 for the oil change before tax, which is a very good price here.
     Despite the price, some hiccups did occur. We expected some wait time, as there were other cars already there. However, our hour and a half wait was ridiculous! An oil change done at home only takes 30-45 minutes tops (without the fancy tools) so an oil change done by a shop of any sort should not take any longer than 30 minutes. They were very understaffed (3 total people) some of which weren't even fully trained and were being trained on the spot.
     Overall, it wasn't the worst experience I have seen but it does need improvements before we go there again, no matter what deals or specials on oil changes they may have. It was obvious that they will hire almost anyone to work back in the Tire and Lube department. I know they aren't mechanics, but to work in the Tire and Lube you should have at least some sort of experience working on cars, even if it is just simple maintenance on your own personal vehicle. At least one of the workers didn't even know where simple under the hood parts were located or looked like to make sure they were sealed and/or full on our vehicle and the other one they were working on at the same time.
    Fair warning to people who want to try to save money on car maintenance by going to Wal-Mart, proceed with plenty of caution, and make sure you know plenty about what you are going for so they don't try to get you to get more work done than what your vehicle needs done, as they will try. Also, don't be afraid to shop around if there are other places in your area to take your vehicle for maintenance.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I think it depends on the Walmart. I know my parents used to take their car there and had no issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you had that bad experience. I agree that there should be high up people working for a company that know what they are doing. I know they wouldn't like that with there car and the outcome you received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does seem like a reasonable price, but not that great of customer service. Especially if they didn't tell you at the beginning that it would take so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, some things you just can't skimp on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely feel like ANYWHERE I take my car, I need to be skeptical. I am a female and while I hate to think people play into the stereotype, I have definitely had moments when I know someone was trying to take advantage of me. While a little more expensive, I always take my car to the dealership for my oil changes or other work that has to get done. I find the environment to more comfortable and welcoming while I wait, there's WIFI, and they wash my car when they're done servicing it. I also find most places that aren't the dealership charge even more because I have a VW and whatever excuse that comes along with it. With that said, I have taken my car to Walmart to get new tires (and then had a tire replaced when it failed) and they were very helpful. Sadly, I think it just depends on the location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely still think the stereotype is prominant when it comes to taking care of a vehicle. Don't be afraid to educate yourself on the basics (YouTube videos count) to ensure you aren't getting ripped off and so you know what they should be doing. If you can't join them, at least outsmart them.

      Delete