Monday, March 19, 2018

Decluttering: Selling on Facebook

I have been slowly decluttering items that I have collected but would like to try to get some money out of now, as a side gig. I have been trying to declutter in several different ways but today,  I will just focus on one way.

I have been attempting to sell items on Facebook through groups and through the Marketplace. I have sold a few odds and ends here and there but I recently sold an item of my own creation!

I sold a throw pillow to a local lady last weekend.


This was the throw pillow that sold.

My husband and I met her at a local store parking lot after agreeing on a time and date to meet. We also exchanged car descriptions and I “Facebook-creeped” to see what she looked like as well.


In my personal opinion, Facebook Marketplace can be a hit or a miss. Different items sell better than others. It may also depend on where you live. I will keep it up as an option for selling things as it is free to post items so it never can hurt to at least try.


What ways have you decluttered or sold things before? I would love to hear ideas!

19 comments:

  1. When I'm in the mood to declutter,I typically just drop items off at the local thrift shop. Most of the things don't have a lot of monetary value. We've sold a few items on Craigslist as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying Craigslist as well. What items have sold good for you on Craigslist?

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! I've actually embroidered some pillows with that same (or similar) looking girl on them. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sunbonnet Sue! I also have items in my personal collection that are of the Sunbonnet Girl that my Nana made. I cherish them. Have you ever sold any of them? What source did you use to sell them, if you did?

      Delete
  3. I need to work on decluttering and now is a good time - spring cleaning! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Mine is a year long (or several years long) experience. Hoarding tendencies are no joke.

      Delete
  4. I'm all about FB Marketplace and groups! I've sold tons of items. I agree, it can be a hit or miss, but sometimes I have luck when I just repost it. Great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reposting may be the trick! The area you are in may matter as well.

      Delete
  5. I agree, Facebook marketplace can definitely be a hit or miss. I've sold a few things on there and some sold better than others. Sometimes I feel like its much easier to just go the old fashioned route and do a yard sale. Did you make that throw pillow? If so, you did a really great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I made the throw pillow. It was all sewn by hand as well. I have thought of a yard sale but I have never organized one before.

      Delete
  6. I have been selling on Poshmark and Ebay and have had much better luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! It can be hit or miss, but when it works it can be a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a great resource but I am always apprehensive. Never know what kind of people you will be meeting. I have a great thrift store that I take all my clothes to when I clean/organize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely understand. That is why I never go by myself. I always make someone go with me.

      Delete
  9. I've been able to sell a few things on Facebook, it definitely works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never used Facebook to sell things, but I have sold books/DVDs/etc to Half Price Books before!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried there yet as the nearest one is about 2 hours away. I will have to try there though. We love trading and getting store credit at secondhand book stores though.

      Delete
  11. I do a lot of buying and selling on Facebook but usually though groups and not Marketplace. My mom groups tend to be more reliable.

    ReplyDelete