Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Tab takes on... The Hardest Letter to Write

Dear Pa,

These holidays were rough. Even though you weren't here with us physically, you were in our thoughts and on our minds. There have been a lot of thoughts on my mind lately that you need to know.

First off, I am so thankful for the skills you taught my husband and the great example you were to him. You taught him the importance of hard work. He tries to tackle anything and everything. If an issue arises, he is ready to find a solution. Just like you were. The time you two spent together made an impact on his life. Because of the example of your and Ma's relationship, he treats me very similar. He will do anything and everything he can for me, even if it means he must sacrifice something he wants or needs. He waits on me hand and foot when he can, just like you did for Ma. I am so glad he had such a great example and that you both were such an influence on my husband's life. We are so glad to know what almost 50 years of marriage looks like.

I am so thankful you were able to come to our wedding. It was so special to have you there. It was an important event of our lives. I am so sad that you won't be here when we start raising a family. You would have so many stories to tell our future children, I am sure. Cody won't be able to come to you for advice on fatherhood and/or other things he would or could come to you for.

Thank you for being the constant man in his life. Cody still says you taught him everything he knows. He also says that even though you were his grandfather, losing you was like losing a father. All I know for sure, is if he becomes half the man you were and can teach our future kids all of the things he learned from you, I will be more than happy. The way he is with the nieces and nephews now shows me that it will be possible but he has some big shoes to fill.

Most of all, I will never forget the last words you said to me. You told me that I was lucky to have married your grandson and that Cody would never know how proud you are of him. Don't worry Pa, he knows. I just wanted you to know what was on my heart and mind. We will all see you later Pa, in heaven. Keep working on those houses with Jesus, as we tell your great grandkids.

Until then,

Tabitha

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he must have been very proud of Cody! I've found that with time, a lot of the pain disappears, but the joy of loving someone remains strong. I hope that happens for you and Cody!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautifully written and I can tell it came straight from your heart. I'm so sorry for your loss. This is a good reminder to me to appreciate the people I have in my life while they're still alive and to remember to continue appreciating them after they've passed. Thank you so much for sharing this heartfelt letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful letter. I can really feel the love through your words. I'm so sorry for your lost, my deepest sympathies go out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sorry for your loss. What an amazing legacy he left you all with! May it continue to impact your family in the years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sorry for your loss. This letter was so beautifully written.

    xx Tatyanna
    http://www.apopoflife.com

    ReplyDelete