Sunday, April 15, 2018

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

(This post is of my own personal opinions and experiences.)


Last weekend (4/8/2018) we went to a college baseball game.






It was the Tennessee Volunteers versus the Florida Gators. It was supposed to be a seven-inning game (due to a double header) but it lasted eleven innings. Florida may have won the game (6-4) but Volunteer Pride was sure to be in the stands.

Tennessee Football Coach Jeremy Pruitt (in white) after throwing first pitch.

Baseball has never been my forte, but it was a fun and exciting experience. Each player had their own theme song that played when they came out, the crowd was loud and clear, there was fun activities going on in between innings (my husband won a t-shirt that I am now the proud owner of by default),we got to see Smokey (which our nephews loved) and it was a great family friendly event (smoke and alcohol free).

It was supposed to be a Kid’s Day where they could get signatures by the players, meet the teams, and run the bases but this was unfortunately cancelled due to the Double Header games.


While we went as a big family group, I have several recommendations for families that may be considering similar functions.
  1. Take older children 6 and up and use your best judgement on the ages. The youngest nephew,4, got tired and cranky about the 8th inning.
  2. Call ahead and try to find out if Kid’s Days are still happening day of game. That way children (and big kids, ahem accompanying adults) aren’t disappointed.
  3. Go early but not too early. We arrived about an hour before game time. We could have been thirty minutes early and still get the seats we got.
  4. Try to get a big meal before you go. The prices of concessions are majorly overpriced. We found a large bucket of popcorn for $6 more reasonable than a soft pretzel for $5.

We got the General Admission tickets for about $5 a piece for the adults after taxes and fees. Children under 12 got in free since it was supposed to be a Kid’s Day. We got great seats and were still near the bathrooms in case the kids needed to go. I am sure there are other college teams with similar deals. I have went to other baseball games, Minor and Little League, and this was a much better experience, even if we all got windburned faces, especially me.

What are your spring/summer plans? What other events would you like to see reviewed?

12 comments:

  1. This looks like it was a really fun experience! I love going out and watching baseball games in Toronto in the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Especially with bringing older kids, because even as an adult I get tired, hot and cranky near the end of a baseball game haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips- some great things that I'll have to keep in mind for my next ball game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love going to a ball game! I'm going to one super soon with my family & I can't wait! Great tip on eating before hand. The food is SO expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fun! I love that all the players on the team had their own theme song. :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like it was such a fun time! I love baseball. I hate how high priced the food is, so it definitely good to bring snacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some places now require clear bags and don't allow outside foods. Double check laws and regulations for the facility before you go.

      Delete
  7. My boys are suppose to start baseball this Saturday and I am looking forward to the season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like overall you had a good time, but it is a shame that they canceled Kids Day! I've never heard of a team where all the players had their own theme song, that must have been a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going to ball games with my dad as a kid was so fun, though I remember getting tuckered out about the 8th inning too. Gave me a great appreciation for the game though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A ballgame is one of my favourite family outings! And so cost effective!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy watching games live. I 100% agree with you about eating before going to a game.

    ReplyDelete