Thursday, October 27, 2022

The Loch by Beth A. Freely ARC Book Review

The Loch by Beth A. Freely is a work of fiction that I chose to read as an advanced reader copy from voraciousreadersonly.com for free. The romantic elements and the fantasy of the faraway land of Scotland peaked my interest from the very beginning. I also thought the title was a little odd so I had to know more.


The area of Scotland this book is based on is called the Loch, hence the title. The author makes it sound so beautiful that I had to Google it to make sure it really exists. (It does by the way.) The many adventures that the characters go on is seen through new eyes by Maggie, since she is an American that is on a sabbatical. What she doesn’t realize, however, is how much this trip will change her and allow her to grow roots.


The characters are more than what meets the eye. These characters had more depth to them. For example, Crispin is more than a part-time bartender as he appears to be from the beginning of the story and Maggie is more than just your run of the mill photographer. The main characters are high level thinking intellectuals that by appearance seem to be the average person.  The way that they can make book and author discussions sound like flirtatious banter made the book nerd inside of me happy. (Even if we don’t read the same type of books.) These were just a few reasons I liked these characters the most.


The Loch is more than just your typical cheap romance novel. It is more descriptive and more thought out than most. I loved reading every moment of this story. The struggles the characters go through are not only more realistic but they make you want to know more. The story still has a happy ending but life is allowed to get in the way.


Overall, I genuinely enjoyed this book to the point I did not want it to end. I would love to see a sequel come out to this story as the author leaves room for the possibility. I would definitely recommend this book to young adults to more mature adults that enjoy either reading romance or general fiction the most. If you enjoy reading more of the classics, you may also enjoy this book as well. I would love to read more from this author if her other books are written in the same way.


No comments:

Post a Comment